Donnerstag, 19. Dezember 2013

It's a wrap!

I love wraps because you can fill them with whatever you like, they are great if you want to bring lunch to work or school and you can also use them to use up leftovers.



























Ingredients for six wraps:

most of the ingredients are optional, of course. If you happen to hate red cabbage, I would suggest you don't use it.
























Ingredients:

  • ca. 100g of cherry tomatos
  • 1/3 of a cucumber
  • 3 onions: 1/2 onion (raw) and 2 1/2 onions (to be roasted)
  • 1 hand full of red cabbage (I used four leaves)
  • 1 hand full of lettuce (four big leaves)
  • 200g of firm tofu
  • some soy sauce
  • some sunflower oil
  • cheese sauce (recipe) (you can use any other type of sauce as well: guacamole, soy yoghurt sauce with herbs...)
  • 6 Lebanese flatbreads (Tortillas work, too... basically anything that you can use to wrap the veggies)


Instructions:

  • Make the cheese sauce according to my recipe. Or take it out of the fridge because you made it the day before. :) Or prepare any other type of sauce you want. I had originally planned to make a nice guacamole, but my avocados decided this wasn't their time yet.
  • Peel cucumber, cut in slices, remove seeds (you don't want your wrap to be soggy), cut slices in small cubes.
  • Cut tomatos in small chunks, remove seeds.
  • Cut lettuce and red cabbage in thin slices.
  • Cut onions in half and slice into 0.5cm (1/5 in) slices.
  • Cut tofu block into 0.5cm (1/5 in) slices, then cut slices in the middle.

ZOMG! The much dreaded plain tofu!
Tastes like soggy cardboard if it's unseasoned.
  • Heat up a pan. Once it's hot, add a dash of sunflower oil, then add 2 1/2 of the slices onions. If you forgot how much that is, just make sure you keep one hand full of raw onion slices. Season with a bit of salt.
  • Roast onions until they're getting darker. 
  • Either clean out the old pan (unless there isn't much stuck to the pan) or get a new pan. Fry the tofu in a bit of sunflower oil from both sides. (Watch how much oil you're using, we're not trying to deep fry the tofu...) Once both side have a nice golden crust, add 3-4 tablespoons of soy sauce to the pan. It will sizzle and steam! It will also smell amazing - if you like soy sauce as much as I do. 
  • Now we're ready to wrap!
  • Take one flatbread or tortilla and spread some cheese sauce on it.

  • Add 3-4 tofu pieces to it, then add all the veggies you want, top with cheese sauce. Keep in mind that you can't just pile up the veggies - you will still need to wrap everything up! So keep the amount of veggies in relation to the size of your wrap!
  • Fold in the bottom part. Now you can also take the sides and lift them up a bit so the veggies are distributed evenly. (I would have taken a picture, but I used both of my hands wrapping.)
  • Fold in each side as though you were closing a bathrobe... made of food.





  • If you want to take this to work for lunch, I would suggest you use clingfilm to wrap it. I wish there was a more ecological solution to this. But just make sure you use clingfilm and not tin foil. Tin foil needs much more energy to be produced than clingfilm!

  • You can always press down the veggies on top a bit and maybe even add a few more things. :)
  • Enjoy!


Why did I use Lebanese flatbread instead of tortillas?

Well, first of all - I was too lazy to make my own tortillas. Truthfully, I also have not yet found a nice recipe yet. Mine never turn out as soft as I would like them. 
So I went out to get some tortillas. I usually get them at Turkish supermarkets (where they're usually sold by the name of "Dürüm" bread or "Dürüm Ekmeği" or "Yufka") and they're quite inexpensive. Yesterday I had the option between one brand of Dürüm and the Lebanese flatbreads. The Dürüm had all sorts of additives, all these "E numbers" listed. I know some "E"s are not an issue because even citric acid has an E number, but I prefer my products to have as short a list of ingredients as possible. The Lebanese flatbreads won:


click to enlarge
The wraps barely survived for me to take a picture! :) The flatbreads definitely passed the test! Extremely yummy!